Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Old Recipes Collage


This project idea was spurred when I found these old newspaper clippings in my Dad's Victorian house he purchased when I was younger. They were all stuffed into an old trunk and originate from 1940-1946 from the DesMoines Register (Iowa's major paper). I love them because it's from a time when people needed to ration during WWII, when canning was essential and women made a home in their kitchen. Basically all I did was :
  1. find a frame (it can be old or new) and a special place where I wanted to hang my masterpiece (for me it was in the kitchen of course)
  2. color coordinate the frame, scrapbook paper, embellishments and kitchen colors so everything tied together
  3. picked some fresh herbs from my garden and pressed them (you can find these pre-done at your local Hobby Lobby or craft store)
  4. put it all together as if it were a scrapbook page 
I envision doing this same type of project with old sheet music, magazine pages, or any other mementos from the past. I did this project with a group of friends at our monthly craft night and it was a hit! It's something everyone can put their own twist on and incorporate into any color pallet and home decor. I'm planning to make one now for my Grandma who loved mine. I'll post pictures of the final. 

No comments:

Post a Comment